Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport opened as a public airport on December 1, 1993, following the closure of Wurtsmith Air Force Base.
Initially the Airport was operated by the State of Michigan through the Wurtsmith Base Conversion Authority. On October 1, 1994 the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport Authority assumed this responsibility. The Authority was organized under the provisions of the Michigan Act 206 of 1957 and is comprised of five municipal constituents; Oscoda Township, AuSable Township, Greenbush Township, Iosco County and Alcona County. The purpose of the Authority is generally to operate and maintain a public airport.
The Wurtsmith Air Museum is an all volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of Wurtsmith Air Force Base and aviation in NE Michigan. Three hangars of military and aviation history include a Huey helicopter, T-33 Trainer, an L-19, lighter planes, and now a 3/4 scale WWI Loehle SE-5A bi-plane! The "Wurtsmith Room" is full of Wurtsmith Air Force Base pictures and WAFB collectibles, 1953-1993. The gift shop has postcards, patches, pins, caps, shirts, mugs, DVD's, magnets, airplane models, toys, and more at reasonable prices. The museum is open weekends from mid-May (Armed Forces' Day) through mid-Sept. Charges for admission are $5 for adults, $3 for children under 12 yrs., and free for children under 5. All income from admissions and gift shop sales go the museum which is completely run by volunteers.. Find us on Facebook!
PO Box 664